Hiring article writers is necessary for every successful business.
Good content can set you apart from your competitors by helping you enhance your brand image and effectively advertise your products and services to the right people.
However, finding skilled article writers is easier said than done.
While there are hundreds of thousands of article writers available for hire online, you need time, energy, and resources to find the one who can produce valuable content for you.
To make the entire process easier, we put together this article detailing everything there is to know about article writers, from the benefits that come with hiring one to the best platforms to find them.
Let’s dive in!
What is an Article Writer?
An article writer creates captivating, well-structured, and well-researched content for brands and businesses. This is usually in the form of articles or other creative content such as social media copy.
The content is then published on websites, blogs, social media, newsletters, and so on.
Most article writers cover one or more specialized areas, but you can also hire generalized article writers based on your business needs. Their job is to create informative, accurate, engaging, and grammatically accurate articles.
Article writers need to have a keen understanding of both the product as well as the audience. Not only this, but a skilled article writer should also understand basic SEO principles which will allow them to create content that is search-engine optimized and keyword-friendly.
Why Hire an Article Writer?
Today, many businesses want to build an online presence, and understandably so. Giving your brand online visibility can help you boost conversion and sales.
However, to build that online presence, brands need to constantly stay relevant and produce helpful, engaging, and valuable content.
If you have a considerably small or new business, chances are you are already wearing multiple hats and taking care of many things every day. In such cases, pumping out good-quality content consistently can become a real challenge.
So it only makes sense to hire an article writer who can take care of all your content needs while you focus on other things.
Or, you may be a business owner looking to expand their market. In such a case, too, you’ll want to increase the visibility of your brand and consistently putting out engaging, shareable content is one of the most effective ways to do that.
So, to help with your brand’s visibility and to aid in your growth, finding and adding an article writer to your team can prove very beneficial in the long run.
Without further ado, here are 13 of the best places where you can hire an article writer:
13 Best Places to Hire Article Writers
MintSEO is an SEO and content marketing agency.
We help our clients rank on the front page of Google by creating SEO-optimized blog articles, landing pages, and many other types of content.
Instead of having to deal with the hassle of hiring, training, and managing content writers, we handle the entire process for you! This includes:
- Hiring expert article writers and ghostwriters
- Training them to create SEO-friendly content
- Editing their content and making sure it fits your brand guidelines
And more! Get in touch now.
- One-stop solution for all your content needs.
- SEO-optimized articles that can rank you higher than your competitors.
LinkedIn is one of the largest professional networking sites, making it one of the best places to hire an article writer. You can either post a job via your business page and have article writers apply, or you can search for them using LinkedIn’s search feature.
LinkedIn allows you to directly reach out to article writers of your choice and discuss your brand needs and specifications before hiring them.
- LinkedIn has a huge user base, which usually translates to a large pool of candidates to choose from. Job posts on LinkedIn can get anywhere from 50 to 200+ applications.
- Access to tools such as LinkedIn Profinder, which makes the task of reaching out to skilled writers easier.
- Filtering through all the applications can be very time-consuming.
- LinkedIn is more suitable for hiring full-time article writers, so if you’re looking for a freelancer, it might not be the best choice.
Fiverr is one of the pioneers in the freelance industry, offering freelancing services for all types of content. It allows you to search for article writers based on your needs and budget, and there is no need to make a job posting.
This allows businesses to connect with freelancers in a simple way, only charging a 5.5% commission rate on every order above $50.
Fiverr has a free mode and a pro mode, which lets businesses hire higher-rated freelancers much more easily. The pro mode also provides an extra layer of security when it comes to the quality of articles you’ll be getting, as they take care of vetting the writers for you.
- Fiverr is one of the most cost-effective platforms to hire article writers from.
- It is great for short-term or one-time content needs as you can hire freelance writers for a single project.
- It offers easy order cancellations and a streamlined refund process.
- Fiverr is not suitable for businesses that want to hire an article writer to work full-time.
- Fiverr allows article writers to cancel your order anytime, which can create problems in case you have urgent content requirements.
Unlike other job platforms, Scripted has its own vetting and selection process. This makes it easier for you to easily hire an article writer without having to spend a lot of time scanning through applications.
Scripted offers a variety of article writers that can help you with blog posts, social media posts, and many other types of content. While it is on the pricier side, writers from Scripted can help you come up with a cohesive content marketing plan.
- Scripted takes care of vetting and quality control, which saves you a lot of time during the hiring process.
- They have a pool of almost 30,000 freelance writers specializing in various niches. So, you can find a skilled article writer for any type of content on Scripted.
- Hiring article writers from Scripted can be expensive, as in addition to paying the article writer, you also have to pay a $200 subscription fee for using Scripted.
- You can’t have face-to-face interaction with the article writer, which can be problematic, as it limits your control over the writing process.
ProBlogger is one of the oldest blogging blogs on the internet. While it is primarily a site that offers valuable resources to writers, it also doubles as a job board to hire article writers for your business.
A job posting on ProBlogger requires a flat charge of $80, but they also offer membership packages for users that frequently make job postings and hire article writers. This can be quite useful for affiliate marketing or SaaS websites.
A good job posting on this platform may receive 50 to 250 applicants. While sorting through them can be time-consuming, it is handy if you are looking for more than one article writer or if you want to have backup article writers for later content needs.
- ProBlogger is a hub for writers and bloggers, which means that posts on their job board get hundreds of responses. This means you have a better variety of writers to pick from.
- There’s no restricted communication, which means you can ask the writers to get on a call or a video conference with you if needed.
- Sorting through all the applications can be very time-consuming.
- There’s a lack of quality control, which means that some of the applicants may not be as qualified as you need them to be.
Upwork has been one of the top platforms that connect businesses with professional freelancers across the world. It is a great platform if you are looking to hire article writers that can work with you on a freelance basis, for an extended time.
Upwork offers a user-friendly interface and access to a considerable pool of article writers. Not to mention, hiring article writers from Upwork is very easy, as you can create a job post or directly reach out to top freelance writers with your needs.
- Upwork is completely free for businesses as they don’t charge any commission or subscription fees.
- Before hiring an article writer from Upwork, you can check their reviews and ratings to get a better idea of their work.
- You have a large pool of writers to choose from.
- The quality of work can be a hit or a miss, as there are no tools for quality assurance.
- You cannot contact the writer outside of their platform.
- Job posts can get hundreds of proposals, which can be time-consuming to sort through.
PeoplePerHour is yet another trustworthy freelance platform where you can hire article writers. There are almost 15 categories of freelancers that you can hire from, such as marketing, social media, design, content writing, and so on.
PeoplePerHour also offers free invoicing for the article writers you hire, making the process of managing your writers’ invoices very efficient. They have around 10,000 certified professional freelancers on the platform and a 10% commission if you hire an article writer from PeoplePerHour.
- PeoplePerHour is ideal for finding freelance article writers for short-term projects.
- They make the task of managing and interacting with the freelancers easy with in-built tools.
- This platform might not be ideal for businesses in need of a more permanent solution for their content requirements.
- Going through all the applications and vetting the article writers can be a time-consuming process.
WordAgents is a specialized, SEO-oriented, article-writing platform. Their services specifically focus on creating SEO content that is affordable and gets delivered swiftly, thanks to their 7-day delivery period.
To begin hiring article writers on WordAgents, you can create an account and purchase a subscription tier that suits your requirements. Once the purchase has been made, you are given a certain amount of “word credits” depending on your subscription tier.
You can then use these word credits to hire article writers. They charge $0.12 per word for the first 1000 words. You can even use these credits for additional SEO optimization.
- WordAgents takes proper quality control measures to ensure that you get high-quality content.
- They have a “10,000 words in 7 days or your money back” guarantee.
- WordAgents is comparatively more expensive than hiring a freelancer directly from a freelance marketplace like Upwork.
- They only allow 2 rounds of edits and you have limited control over the writing process once you place the order.
#9 Express Writers
Express Writers offers strategic and good-quality articles for as little as 19 cents per word through a curated team of article writers that can meet your content needs.
Express Writers has more than 90 article writers that can cater to various requirements and create both long-form and short-form content based on the client’s quality standards.
- The Express Writers content shop offers a variety of specialized services such as authority blogs, case studies, expert blogs, etc.
- You don’t have to spend time vetting or interviewing the article writers.
- They have a quality assurance team and an editing team to ensure that each piece of content meets all your requirements.
- Depending on the type of service you order, Express Writers can be more expensive than some of the other platforms on this list.
- You have very limited oversight over the content once you place your order.
#10 Semrush Content Marketplace
While Semrush is famous for its marketing and keyword research tools, they also provide article-writing services through its content marketplace.
You can easily order content based on the length of the article, target audience, keywords, and so on. Semrush also offers infographics, website copy, as well as product descriptions that you can add to your branding.
- Hiring an article writer through Semrush’s content marketplace is very streamlined. They match you with the article writers instead of you having to go through multiple applications.
- You can place a recurring order to receive a set number of articles every week or every month.
- To access their full range of services and features, you need to buy a $40/month subscription plan.
- The turnaround time for a single article can be anywhere from 5 to 10 days, which isn’t ideal for businesses that need new content every day.
If you have a tight budget but are still looking to hire high-quality article writers, Textbroker is a great option. They offer services based on your budget and the price starts as low as 2.3 cents per word. Textbroker also has vetted article writers, making it easier for you to hire professional and qualified article writers.
On top of that, they have a rating system for their freelancers. Article writers with lower stars are more budget-friendly, whereas writers with higher stars are on the expensive side.
- They offer a ‘start-to-finish’ solution for businesses with larger content requirements.
- It is a cost-effective platform and they are very transparent with their pricing.
- While they offer cheap solutions for your short-term content needs, their services can get a little expensive in the long run.
Brafton offers a variety of article writing and other content marketing services. They are a creative content writing agency that also offers marketing strategies and graphic design services along with articles.
To hire an article writer from Brafton, all you need to do is sign up and their team will walk you through the entire process. They also have an informative newsletter for brands looking to learn more about content generation.
- They can come up with a complete creative content strategy for your brand.
- Not ideal for short-term content needs or if you need to hire an article writer to be a full-time member of your team.
Verblio is a content creation agency similar to Brafton, where you can work with their team of writers and marketers to create content for your brand. It allows you to create a monthly subscription of articles along with several add-on options like CMS formatting, photos, and SEO optimization.
Verblio has a big pool of writers and offers you customizable articles based on your business needs. It takes 72 hours to fulfill content requests. There are custom options available for faster turnaround times if needed.
- They have a dedicated team to handle your content requirements from ideation to completion.
- Verblio has a team of skilled, pre-vetted writers that work closely with you to ensure high-quality content.
- Verblio is comparatively more expensive than the other platforms on our list.
- Being an agency, there are limitations to what you can and can’t control in the content creation process.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring an Article Writer?
After looking at these platforms and exploring some of their prices, you might be wondering if hiring article writers is really worth your time (and expense). You might even be wondering whether you need an article writer in the first place.
The answer to both these questions is most likely yes, and there are many reasons for the same.
Understanding why you are hiring your article writer will help you set clear expectations from the start.
First and foremost, content is the key to increasing traffic, establishing trust, and improving brand awareness.
Vetted article writers have the knowledge and experience needed to help your brand flourish. They can help create SEO-friendly content and increase your chances of ranking higher than your competitors on Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs).
That’s because a good article writer will know exactly how to entertain and retain your readers. Understanding the needs of your target audience and customizing the articles accordingly is one of the key skills of any good article writer.
In addition to that, hiring an article writer can make it easier for you to educate your audience about specific products and services that your brand offers, which will help drive customer leads and conversions.
Essentially, having an article writer can:
- Help you save time
- Provide you with good quality content
- Increase your brand’s visibility
- Ensure you maintain a regular stream of content
- Produce SEO-friendly and optimized content
- Add value to your brand
- Educate your audience about your products and services
How to Pick the Right Article Writer?
Now that you know where to hire an article writer and how they can help your business, it’s time to look at how you can hire the right article writer.
Choosing the right person for the job can be intimidating at first, but by following these steps, you can easily hire the best article writer for your brand.
#1 Know What You Are Looking For
There are thousands of article writers out there for hire. To make the process easier, you must first know exactly what you are looking for.
If you create a generic job post, you run the risk of getting too many applicants that don’t fit the role. This will make it difficult for you to narrow down your options.
As such, you should identify your needs and set specific goals that you want the article writer to fulfill. You can also provide a well-defined budget for the article writer you are looking for.
Once you have a better understanding of your requirements, you can create the ideal job post. This should include:
- A background of your business
- An overview of the job
- Valid deadlines
- Type of content required
- Level of experience of the writer
- Budget for the project
- Background research necessary to fulfill the project
#2 Understand & Test Their Skill Level
Once you have posted the job and are receiving applications, the next step is to analyze the skill level of the shortlisted applicants.
Asking for samples to check their writing style is one of the best ways to do that.
Most article writers maintain a portfolio of their past work that you can go through. On top of that, you should ask for paid trial assignments to make sure the writer actually possesses the skills they claim to have and is genuinely interested in the job.
#3 Selection and Hiring
Lastly, once you have shortlisted article writers that match your needs, you can begin discussing factors like deadlines, schedules, and means of communication. You can then go ahead and hire the article writer you feel most comfortable working with and that best matches your needs.
Remember to only hire a writer if working with them feels like a collaborative experience and is not one-sided.
You’ll know you’ve chosen the right article writer when you’ll start seeing the benefits yourself like increased brand awareness and customer leads.
Article Writer FAQ
Before we wrap up, here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about article writers:
#1 How much do you pay for a writer to write an article?
An article writer can cost anywhere between $20 to $1000+ per article.
The rate depends on a variety of factors like word count, the deadline, the complexity of the topic, the research required, the writer’s experience level, and so on.
#2 How long does it take for an article writer to write 1,000 words?
A professional article writer can write and research 1,000 words in about one to two hours.
However, articles that require extensive research can take much longer, depending on the subject.
And that’s a wrap on the topic of article writers.
We hope these tips make the process of finding and hiring the right article writer for your business a little easier.
To learn more about all things SEO, check out our blog.