SEO is one of the most effective strategies for driving patients to a chiropractic clinic.
Unless you’re a digital marketing pro, though, chiropractor SEO might seem like rocket science.
If you’ve done some Googling on the topic, you’re probably even more confused than before – technical SEO, backlinks, keywords…
It’s all much harder in practice than it is in theory.
At the end of the day, what you want to know is what exactly you need to do in order to rank your chiropractor clinic website on the front page of Google.
Well, this is exactly why we created this guide! Below, we’ll give you all the information you need to optimize your website for Google and start ranking!
But first, let’s start with the basics…
Why is SEO Important for Chiropractors?
SEO is the process of optimizing a website so that it’s more likely to rank well on search engines when people look up specific keywords.
When looking for chiropractor services, the first thing a patient is going to do is look up clinics in their immediate area with a query like:
- Chiropractor near me
- Chiropractor London
- Lower back pain treatment
If your website is optimized according to SEO best practices, you’re a lot more likely to pop up on the front page and drive new patients to your clinic.
If you haven’t done much work on your website, though, then your chances of ranking on Google are very slim.
That’s where search engine optimization comes in – SEO is what can help you optimize your website in such a way that you’re a lot more likely to rank for keywords like “chiropractor near me.”
Now, your next question is probably whether or not SEO is worth pursuing as a marketing channel for your chiropractor clinic.
This is a question that’s quite easy to answer.
Let’s say you’re a chiropractor based in Portland. Your target keywords would be:
- Chiropractor near me
- Chiropractor Portland
- Lower back pain treatment
And a few dozen others.
Now, if we run these 4 keywords through Google Planner (with the location set to Portland), we’ll get their exact search volumes:
As you can see above, the total monthly volume just for these 4 keywords is 28970.
If you manage to drive just 2% of that traffic to your website, that’s 580 potential new patients visiting your clinic every month.
If you wanted to reach this same audience via Google Ads instead of SEO, you’d be paying around 5 to 15 USD per click. If you were going the paid advertising route, that’s an ad spend of, minimally, around 2900 USD.
Benefits of Chiropractor SEO
The four primary benefits of chiropractor SEO are as follows:
- Drive New Patients. By ranking for keywords people use to find chiropractors, you’re a lot more likely to drive patients to your website.
- Better Brand Awareness. You can reach a much larger audience with better Google rankings, which can in turn help you increase your brand awareness.
- Stand Out from the Competition. You’ll be able to seriously outperform any of your competitors that aren’t relying on SEO for growth.
- Zero Ad Spend. By focusing on SEO, you’ll be saving thousands of dollars in potential ad spend (than if you were using Google Ads).
Chiropractor SEO – 8 Steps to Rank #1
Now that we’ve covered the “why” of chiropractor SEO, let’s talk about the “how.”
Below, we’ll cover our top 8 practical chiropractor SEO tips to help you rank your clinic on the front page of Google, starting with…
#1. Create Your Google My Business Profile
When it comes to local search, you get two different types of results.
You get Google Maps results:
And conventional search results:
In this article, we’re primarily focusing on the latter (conventional search), but in this section, we’ll teach you all you need to know to rank on Google Maps.
First things first; the rankings on Google Maps are specifically Google My Business profiles or GMB in short.
So, head over here to create your GMB profile.
To make it more likely that you rank well on Google Maps, make sure to follow our tips below when filling out your profile:
- Include essential business information. Name, working hours, location, and so on.
- Double-check your working hours. Make sure that your working hours are accurate, and make sure to include your working hours during holidays too.
- Create a small business description. Google Maps allows you to give a small “from the business” type description of your chiropractor clinic. Here, make sure to add the keyword “chiropractor” and your location.
- List some of your services on the GMB profile. This helps customers find the services they’re looking for, and at the same time, allows your chiropractic clinic to rank better on Google Maps.
- Include pictures of your chiropractor clinic. This includes pictures of both the interior and the exterior (so that it’s easier for patients to find your clinic).
- Regularly post news, updates, or special offers. GMB offers an option to manage your business profile the same way you’d manage your Facebook page. You can post content, news, updates, and special offers to help drive patients to your clinic.
- Answer frequently asked questions whenever possible. Sometimes, customers are going to ask questions on your GMB profile. Make sure to answer these when you can!
One of the most important ranking factors for your GMB profile is the quantity and quality of your reviews.
So, encourage your patients to leave you a review on Google Maps as much as possible!
#2. Uncover Chiropractor Service Keywords
In the chiropractor SEO niche, you’ll mainly want to target keywords that are related to your services, for example:
- Chiropractor [location]
- Back treatment [location]
- Sciatica [location]
To get a more comprehensive list of the type of keywords you should target, run “chiropractor” through Ahrefs keyword explorer:
And you’ll get hundreds of suggestions.
#3. Create Your Service Pages
Once you’ve uncovered all the chiropractor-related keywords you want to target, it’s time to create service pages for each respective keyword.
For your main keyword (“chiropractor”), you should simply optimize your homepage (which we’ll explain how to do later).
For the rest of the keywords (“back treatment,” “sciatica,” etc.), create a dedicated page and link to it in your navigation bar:
Each of these pages should be detailed and answer all your customers’ questions about the given service:
- What does the service involve?
- How many sessions do they need?
- What’s the ballpark pricing?
- What’s the location of your clinic?
And so on.
#4. Optimize Your Key Pages by Google’s Best Practices
Once you’ve created these pages, you should optimize them according to Google’s best practices.
To do this, simply follow our checklist below:
- Include the target keyword in the URL of your service pages. E.g. if the page is about back pain treatment, the URL should be /back-pain-treatment/
- Mention your target keyword throughout the given page. For the same example as above, you’d want to mention “back pain treatment” at least 5-6 times throughout the page.
- Include the target keyword in the H1 header and H2 header of the page
- Include links to your other web pages where relevant. E.g. on the page about back pain treatment, you’d want to link to any other service associated with it.
- Have a call to action on every given page to “Book an Appointment” and also make sure to include your phone number so it’s easier for your patients to call and ask for additional information.
- Embedded your GMB profile at the bottom of the page to make it easier for your patients to find you.
#5. Make Sure Your Website is Up to the Challenge
In 2022, just having a website simply won’t do.
If you want your chiropractic clinic website to rank well on Google, your website also has to be:
- Mobile-friendly. These days, Google uses mobile-first indexing, so if your website can’t open on mobile, it won’t rank well on Google.
- Easy to use. Your website visitors should be able to navigate through your website with ease and find whatever information they’re looking for.
- Fast, with a load speed of fewer than 2 seconds.
Want to check if your chiropractor clinic website is up to par with these standards? Simply run them through Google’s website testing tool:
As you can see from the example above, the website ranks 40/100 in terms of mobile-friendliness. While this isn’t absolutely horrible, it’s definitely going to harm their Google rankings.
#6. Build Backlinks to Your Chiropractic Clinic Website
A backlink is a link from another website to yours.
For Google, a backlink is a voucher of trust. If a website is linked to you, that means that they consider you to be “legitimate,” and as such, Google is more likely to reward you with rankings.
Done right, link building can condense an SEO strategy that would take a year into just 6 months!
Three of the most popular link-building strategies (for chiropractor SEO) you can use are:
- Niche Edits. Reach out to websites that have content on pain treatment and ask for a backlink placement.
- Guest Blogging. Offer to contribute with a guest post to websites that blog about health and wellness.
- Backlink Exchange. Reach out to other chiropractor websites and offer a backlink exchange – you link to their site, and they link to yours.
Need help with your link building? We’ve got you covered! Check out our link-building services here.
#7. Build Citations with Online Directories
Citation-building is a tactic that helps chiropractor clinics rank better on Google Maps.
A citation is basically any mention of your business online that includes information about:
- Your business name
- Phone number
The more often these details are mentioned online, the more likely they are to be accurate.
And as such, Google is also much more likely to reward you with better rankings.
Some of the online directories you can create citations with are:
- Bing Places
Simply create your profile, input your information, and link back to your website.
#8. Track & Measure the Right SEO Marketing KPIs
Finally, as with any other marketing channel, to correctly measure your success with chiropractor SEO, you’ll need to track and measure the right KPIs.
The SEO metrics we track at our agency (to measure client success) are:
- Impressions. The first sign of SEO success. If your website is getting more impressions every month (you can check this via GSC), then that means your website is slowly climbing the rankings.
- Clicks. This is the number of clicks you get from Google. Once you start hitting a certain number of impressions per month, you’ll also start driving clicks from prospective customers.
- Rankings. Of course, rankings are one of the most important chiropractor SEO KPIs. The more of your pages rank on the front page, the better.
- Form Submissions. What percentage of all organic traffic submits a contact form?
- Phone Calls. What percentage of all organic traffic calls your clinic to ask a question or book an appointment?
Struggling with your SEO? Work With a Chiropractor SEO Agency
Did everything right, but still not ranking on Google?
Sometimes, the helping hand of an expert is all you need!
MintSEO is a full-service SEO marketing agency. We’ve helped businesses all over the world upgrade their website and dominate Google rankings.
Click here to reach out for a free consultation.
Chiropractor SEO FAQ
#1. How long does chiropractor SEO take?
Depending on where your clinic is based, chiropractor SEO can take anything between six months to a year (and beyond).
#2. Is SEO an effective channel for chiropractors in 2022?
SEO is one of the most effective marketing channels for chiropractors. It helps you reach your target audience organically without having to spend a dime on advertising.
#3. What does the SEO process for chiropractors involve?
The SEO process for chiropractors involves:
- Doing keyword research.
- Creating relevant service pages.
- Creating a Google My Business profile and optimizing it.
- Building backlinks and citations.
- Tracking, measuring, and improving your SEO.
#4. Do chiropractors need a website?
In 2022, having a website for your chiropractor clinic is all but essential. A website helps drive new customers to your clinic, improves your brand awareness, allows you to rank on Google, and more.
#5. What do people Google when looking for chiropractors?
When looking for chiropractors, people Google keywords like “chiropractor near me,” “chiropractor London,” “back pain treatment,” “scoliosis treatment,” and others.